School Spellathon Week
11th December 2012
It's now School Spellathon Week and all
Mencap is inviting schools to take part in this special week in a bid to raise £500 each.
£500 could pay for one teacher to receive a support package (including access to training, advice and information) on how to inspire and motivate children with a learning disability, which will benefit 30 students.
Funds raised will support Mencap’s work with people with a learning disability, their family and carers. We aim to raise £250,000 which could help 100,000 people over the next three years, through our Education programme.
How can you fundraise for Mencap?
- Own clothes day Ask students to dress-up in Spellathon inspired clothes and to donate a minimum £1 each on the day
- Challenge the teacher Children can sponsor any teacher (recommended £5 donation) to play Spellathon and dress-up for the day. What about a colourful wig or an alphabet or bee-inspired outfit?
- Own clothes day Set a day within School Spellathon Week where children can wear their own clothes for the day if they bring in a £1 donation for Mencap.
Hold a bake sale – This can be themed, or a staff bake-off
- Sponsored silence – every teachers dream, why not make it a reality?
Get other people involved Challenge other schools or even local businesses and newspapers to a Spellathon competition. Who will do better? Ask the local businesses to donate prizes and their employees and customers to pay to enter or make a donation to support your school.
Tip: Shout about it before, during and after your challenge by contacting the local press. And, of course, thank all your supporters!
A full support pack will be available when you register or log in.
What will your school do to mark School Spellathon Week? We’d love to know, so email us - email@example.com
Why take part in School Spellathon Week?
- Promote spelling in your school and make it engaging
- The top spelling school for each county, raising a minimum of £200, will be crowned Local School Spellathon Champions and receive the special School Spellathon Week certificate to display proudly
- The top fundraising school, raising a minimum of £500, will be crowned School Spellathon Champions and will win a visit from a celebrity
- You will be supporting Mencap’s work to help people with a learning disability, their families and carers.
If your school is already playing Spellathon then fear not! You can continue playing and still be part of School Spellathon Week too. Remember, all participating schools can request balloons, donation tins and individual certificates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, to qualify to receive the school certificate and celebrity visit, you need to:
- Let us know that you’re taking part in School Spelling Week
- Send the money raised to Spellathon by 25 March
- Drop us an email at email@example.com to let us know that you are taking part.
Remember, for the chance of winning £10,000, all money raised during School Spellathon week will count towards your grand Spellathon total and you must send all money to us by 25 March 2013.
HOW TO TAKE PART
- Visit www.spellathon.net to register your school, or log in if you’re already registered.
- Download the full School Spellathon Week pack from the Teaching Resources section.
- Set a date during this week (4 – 10 March) and organise a whole host of different spelling inspired and fundraising events.
- Tell the world and keep playing Spellathon to win prizes.
- Terms and conditions apply. Visit http://www.spellathon.net/terms_and_conditions for details